Administration and dosage
The daily dose of 1 mg fenbendazole per kg BW (0.454 mg/lb) is equivalent to 0.005 mL Safe-Guard AquaSol per kg BW (0.00227mL/lb). The required daily volume of product is calculated from the total estimated body weight [kg] of the entire group of chickens to be treated. Please use the following formula:
Total estimated body weight [kg] of the chickens to be treated x 0.005 mL = mL Safe-Guard® AquaSol/day
|Total body weight of birds to be treated
||Volume of Safe-Guard® AquaSol per day
||Volume of Safe-Guard® AquaSol (for 5 days)
|5,000 kg (11,000 lb)
||5 x 25 mL = 125 mL
|10,000 kg (22,000 lb)
||5 x 50 mL = 250 mL
|80,000 kg (176,000 lb)
||5 x 400 mL = 2,000 mL
|320,000 kg (704,000 lb)
||5 x 1,600 mL = 8,000 mL
Follow the instructions in the order described below to prepare the medicated water. The medicated water must be prepared daily prior to each administration.
Prepare a 1 to 1 dilution (pre-dilution) of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water:
1) Calculate the volume of Safe-Guard® AquaSol to be administered daily.
2) Select a measuring device capable of accurately measuring a volume of at least twice the calculated Safe-Guard® AquaSol daily volume.
[Note: If the total volume of the 1 to 1 dilution needed exceeds the volume of the largest available measuring device, divide the total volume into two or more smaller batches of 1 to 1 dilution, prepared following the steps below. Safe-Guard® AquaSol should always be measured by adding it to a measuring device that already contains an equivalent volume of water.]
3) Pour a volume of water equal to the calculated volume of product needed into the measuring device.
4) Shake the product well before mixing.
5) Fill up the measuring device containing the water with the calculated volume of the product to obtain the 1 to 1 dilution.
[Note: If more than the required amount of the product is accidently poured into the measuring device, discard the entire contents and repeat the process from Step 3 above.]
6) Add the 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the water supply system as described below. Be careful to avoid any accidental spill or loss of 1 to 1 dilution which may inadvertently result in less than the required dose of fenbendazole.
7) Rinse the container used to prepare the 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol with additional water, and add the rinse water to the medicated water tank or the stock suspension tank of the dosing pump.
For use with a medication tank:
Add the entire 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the medication tank containing the volume of drinking water usually consumed by the animals in 3 to 24 hours.
Stir the medicated water in the medication tank until the medicated water is visibly homogeneous. The medicated water should appear hazy. No further stirring during administration is necessary.
For use with a dosing pump:
Add the entire 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the water in the stock suspension tank of the dosing pump. The volume of water in the stock suspension container has to be calculated taking as a basis the present injection rate of the dosing pump and the volume of drinking water usually consumed by the animals over a period of 3 to 24 hours. Stir until the content in the stock suspension tank is visibly homogeneous. The medicated water should appear hazy.
At concentrations of up to 5 mL/L stock suspension (1 g fenbendazole/L) no stirring is required.
At concentrations from 5 mL up to 75 mL of product /L stock suspension (1,000 mg to 15,000 mg fenbendazole/L) and within up to 8 hours during the treatment administration period no stirring of the stock suspension is required. If the administration period exceeds 8 hours, but being no longer than 24 hours, the stock suspension container needs to be equipped with a stirring device.
During treatment all chickens must have sole and unrestricted access to the medicated water. After complete consumption of the medicated water, the chickens should have access to non-medicated drinking water ad libitum. Ensure that the total amount of medicated water offered is consumed.