Broad-spectrum horse dewormer effective against a variety of internal parasites
Strongid Paste is a potent equine wormer containing pyrantel, a compound from the tetrahydropyrimidine class.
Each Strongid Paste syringe contains:
3.6 grams of pyrantel base in 23.6 grams (20 mL) paste.
Each Strongid Paste mL contains:
180 mg pyrantel base as pyrantel pamoate
Indications for use
Strongid Paste is indicated for the removal and control of mature infections of large strongyles (Strongylus vulgaris, S. edentatus, S. equinus); small strongyles; pinworms (Oxyuris equi); and large roundworms (Parascaris equorum) in horses and ponies.
Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment, and control of parasitism.
Administration and dosage
- Strongid Paste is to be administered as a single oral dose of 3 mg pyrantel base per lb of body weight. The syringe has 4 weight mark increments. Each weight mark indicates the recommended dose for 300 lb of body weight.
|Body Weight Range||Volume||mg Pyrantel Base|
|up to 300 lb||1/4 syringe (5 mL)||900 mg|
|301-600 lb||1/2 syringe (10 mL)||1800 mg|
|601-900 lb||3/4 syringe (15 mL)||2700 mg|
|901-1200 lb||1 full syringe (20 mL)||3600 mg|
Position screw-gauge over appropriate mark on plunger.
For maximum control of parasitism, it is recommended that foals (2-8 months of age) be dosed every 4 weeks. To minimize the potential source of infection that the mare may pose to the foal, the mare should be treated 1 month prior to anticipated foaling date followed by retreatment 10 days to 2 weeks after birth of foal. Horses and ponies over 8 months of age should be routinely dosed every 6 weeks.
- After removing the cap, the paste should be deposited on the dorsum of the tongue.
- Introduce the nozzle end of the syringe at the corner of the mouth.
- Direct the syringe backwards and depress the plunger to deposit the paste onto the tongue.
- Given in this manner, it is unlikely that rejection of the paste will occur.
- Raising the horse’s head sometimes assists in the swallowing process. When only part of the paste has been used, replace the cap on the syringe nozzle.